Working Memory Vs Short term memory

Go down

Working Memory Vs Short term memory

Post  Will*I*AM on Fri May 16, 2008 1:40 pm

When I was reading the Lecture on High brain function, it was stated that bilateral lesions of ventral hippocampus will affect short-term memory but working memory, remote memory and implicit memory will be OK.

My question is what is the difference between Short-term memory and working memory ? I think that they are pretty much the same.

So I search the yahoo answer and found this.

They are related concepts with different histories. Primary memory is the term used by William James (in his Principles of Psychology) to distinguish the immediate contents of consciousness from secondary memory (stuff that needs to be brought back into consciousness). Short-term memory is a general term for processes that hold or store memory in the short term - though it is often implies a single short-term store - as in the Modal Model of memory associated with Atkinson & Shiffrin (1971) or Waugh & Norman (1968). Working Memory is a more recent idea. It is most strongly associated with Baddeley & Hitch (1974) who argued that short-term storage was functional: its purpose is to act as a temporary store for information that is likely to be needed to accomplish the present task (e.g., holding intermedaite results in mental arithmetic). It is strongly assocaited with the Baddeley & Hitch Working Memory theory- but also used as a more general term. Cowan recently described it (more or less) as the set of mechanisms or processes that hold information over the short-term. Working memory (in this sense) is a term that includes processes such as rehearsal or articulation of verbal material that might not be included in short-term memory.

The explanation is not very clear to me. Do you do about the difference?

View user profile

Back to top Go down